Donnerstag, 10. Februar 2011

Sport, DERI and Showers

So today after work I saw some guys playing table soccer (at the entrance of DERI there's a table soccer table or whatever you call that). Honestly English sucks in certain aspects...

a table soccer table? so simple in Swiss-German, a Töggelichaste
or playing table soccer? again so much simpler in Swiss-German: töggelä
To be fair I have to admit that words like Chuchichäschtli are shorter in - at least the Irish English: the press

Well, back on topic... So I ended up playing 2 against 2 and my team won... I made more goals than the Swiss National Team... oh wait, that's not really hard, because they made NONE and even managed to miss 2 penalties. And as if this weren't bad enough they had played against Malta... Nothing against this lovely little island or it's inhabitants, but not even they themselves belief in their own team. So while listening to Züri's Radio24 today I had to hear over and over again how terribly embarrassed everyone is back home and they repeated Alex Frei's awful remark nearly every hour (he's the captain and missed his penalty and said in an interview that he was never going to kick another penalty again), how old is he? 6?

And also the Swiss skiers suck a bit... Instead of just going faster down the hill they complain about the condition of the slopes... Well, ok, even the ones that win medals complain about it (obviously not the Germans...), so I guess there's something to it, but because the ski races are always during times where I'm at work I can't really watch for myself.

Work is getting more interesting as I start to comprehend more and more. Today I had the awesome task of fixing a bug in VinhTuan's other project (IVEA) and I was at it the whole day... With a bit of moral support from my awesome friend in Japan - whose parcel arrived today with loads of goodies from Japan btw - I managed to not go completely nuts over not finding this bug. And who knew... one hour later the bug was found (not really understood, but found) and VinhTuan was happy, I think :-) At least I remember him saying something like I'm awesome :-) Yay! Tomorrow he'll leave Ireland for places where the sun actually still knows that it's supposed to shine, namely California, for 2 weeks. But I have enough work to do for two weeks and with the modern world and internet I'm sure he can give me more in case I run out of it :-).

Oh, about some gossip going around at work... The director of DERI, Stefan Decker was at Stanford with Sergey Brin and Larry Page and I heard from someone that they were actually roomies and that they wanted him to join Google as well. But being true to his research he didn't and ended up as director of DERI a few years late. I guess that's a good thing for me :-).

Also today after taking a shower really late I felt the need to clean it again... The Irish weather is really not good for the way they build the houses here. This time I took the really strong stuff to get rid of the last of the stupid mold and it already looks better :-).

Right now I'm just trying to think of advantages of Irish weather... hmmm - 10min later - well, I could think of a few:

  • mushrooms grow (it's one of the few things in the supermarket that is actually from Ireland and not imported (ok, I might be exaggerating a little, the potatoes are also from Ireland)).
  • if the sun shines once in a week (ok, exaggerating again) you are really happy about it
  • you don't get skin cancer
  • you don't feel guilty for staying inside on the weekend playing games or watching movies
Ok, that's about it... can't think of anything else.

I truly hope that this weekend the weather will once again be sunny, it would just be awesome. Tomorrow evening Tommaso and Ida are arriving from Dublin and we have booked two 1 day trips for the weekend. On Saturday we are going to the Cliffs of Moher (yay, finally!) and on Sunday we're going into Connemara (mostly to places where I've been already, but it was so nice I'd love to go a second time!). Naturally I'll write a post about it and hopefully you'll get to see some pictures with a blue sky and the sun.

Now I should go to bed, I have to be fit in the morning for work and this weekend I can't just sleep half the time ;-) or I'll miss out on the beautiful scenery while in the bus.

xoxo from Galway

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen